When you’re going on vacation and all of a sudden you realize you haven't made arrangements for your dog, what should you do? It is sometimes difficult to find a dog sitter and it may be dangerous to allow someone to stay in your home while you are gone. Pet boarding is a good option to make sure your pet is well-cared for in your absence. Amigo Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinary hospital that offers pet boarding for Westminster, Huntington Beach, Seal beach, and surrounding areas.
What Should I Look for in a Pet Boarding Facility?
Unfortunately, not all pet boarding facilities have everything necessary to be a quality place for your pet. There are some tried and true requirements you will want to have:
- Insurance, bonding, and certifications are an important aspect of any pet boarder. You want to make sure your pet is covered if he is hurt, if he hurts someone else or another animal, or does damage while at the boarder.
- Rules about vaccinations should be in place. As your pet will be staying with other pets for several days, you will want to make sure everyone is up to date on vaccinations.
- A clean, well-organized pet boarding center is a good indicator of the way in which they will care for your pet.
- Kennels and all areas should be free of items that may be of potential harm to your pet. Broken kennels can result in your little escape artist getting away. Checking for secure fencing outside the facility is important as well.
- Unless you have been advised to not give your pet too much water due to bloating, there should be continuous clean water available. If your pet has any special instructions for food and water, make sure you inform the boarder.
- Dogs, in particular, should be allowed to go outside and run around. If there isn't a space to do that, perhaps you should look elsewhere.
- What are the safety measures as far as other dogs and cats interacting? Pens shouldn't have any spaces where another animal could bite or scratch your pet. Inquire about playtime. Are animals allowed to be together? If so, how does the boarder make certain there won't be negative interactions?
- Find out how the boarder handles bad behavior. Pet boarders should always treat each animal with patience and kindness. However, they also need to have plans in place to deal with aggressive behavior.