Our pets bring us love and joy, so it is it important to take care of them and their health. Along with that, your pet can suffer from various health issues, such as anxiety and depression. If your cat or dog has anxiety, it can impact his or her health, behavior, and happiness. At Amigo Animal Hospital in Westminster, CA, we provide treatments to help your pet feel better and improve its overall well-being.
Symptoms of Pet Anxiety
If your pet is feeling anxious, he or she may exhibit a variety of symptoms. Some of these symptoms include:
- Aggression towards you or other family members.
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive panting and barking
- Destructive behavior
- Loss of interest in everyday activities, such as playing, walking, or cuddling
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important not to ignore them and bring your pet to our veterinarian for a check-up and proper treatment.
Causes of Pet Anxiety
It is important to understand what makes your pet anxious or depressed. If you know the cause of the anxiety, it will be easier to ease the symptoms. Some common causes of anxiety in pets include the following:
- Loud Noises: Most pets are afraid of loud sounds, such as thunder or fireworks. When they hear these noises, they try to find a place to hide. Even familiar everyday sounds like the noise of a vacuum cleaner can scare your pet anxious.
- Separation Anxiety: This type of anxiety is common in pets. Your pet may experience separation anxiety when you leave the home or have to travel.
- Social Anxiety: Pets are like people and some of them are social, while others not. When your pet is in a big crowd or in a public place, it can make him or her feel uncomfortable, scared, and anxious.
How to Prevent Anxiety in Pets
Once our vet has helped determine what is causing anxiety in your pet, there are ways to help your pet feel better. Some ways to prevent anxiety in pets include the following:
- Socialize your pet more often in order to help it become familiar with other people
- Expose your pet to new indoor and outdoor environments
- Create a comfortable environment for your pet at home
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you think your pet has anxiety and depression, our team at Amigo Animal Hospital in Westminster, CA, is happy to help. We can provide your cat or dog the necessary medication that will help reduce its symptoms and allow it to be active again. To schedule your appointment, contact us at (714) 894-5558 today. When you need a veterinarian near me, we are ready to assist you!